Monday, June 16, 2008

Human Trafficking

First of all, a very talented friend of mine, Sam Sanchez did this video on child trafficking. I met Sam in Burundi and I helped him to make a video for Turame which is on my blog a few posts back. I am a fan of Sam and his work and I like to plug other artists out there trying to make a difference with their work. This is a powerful music video and it's very well done. You won't regret checking it out.

Check out this video: Constance





CHILDREN from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and Burundi are reportedly trafficked into Uganda for sexual exploitation, commercial and agricultural labour, according to a United States report.
The leading traffickers, according to the report, are employers, companies which send security guards to Iraq and the LRA rebels.

"Some security companies in Kampala recruit Ugandans to serve as security guards in Iraq where, at times, reportedly they withhold their travel documents and pay as a means to prevent their departure; this may constitute trafficking."
The report is titled '2008 Trafficking in Persons' and was issued ON June 11.
Uganda, it said, is a destination of forced labour workers from Pakistan, India and China.
Ugandan children, the report states, are trafficked within or taken to Canada, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia for sexual slavery.
"Karimojong women and children are sold in cattle markets or by intermediaries and forced into domestic servitude, sexual exploitation, herding and begging," the report said.
The report, the eighth of its kind, was released by the US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on June 4 to raise the level of awareness worldwide and to stimulate action to address the crime of human trafficking.
The various forms of human trafficking, the report stated, constitute "modern-day slavery."
It singled out Uganda as "a steadfast partner" and promised to stand by any nation committed to fighting the crime.
"We are aware of that problem. The Government is dealing with it in collaboration with international partners," internal affairs minister Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda said yesterday.
On the LRA, the report noted: "Until August 2006, the terrorist rebel organisation abducted children and adults in northern Uganda to serve as soldiers, sex slaves and porters." It said the LRA exported its abductions to the Central African Republic and the DR Congo where at least 300 additional people, mostly children, were abducted since February.
Relevant Links

Ugandan Police say child trafficking crimes increased last year. In a report, the Police chief Maj. Gen. Kale Kayihura, said 54 children had been kidnapped, abducted or stolen. Seven victims of trafficking were rescued, the Police said.
The US report saluted a rights group, the Law and Advocacy for Women in Uganda, for delivering a private members Bill in Parliament urging legislators to address the problem.
"Together, we remain committed to act as a voice for the many voiceless victims of this crime," the report said.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Burundi troops shot dead two rebels on Wednesday

Since this event there have been some small arms/grenade attacks, which can cause one to doubt the peace process here... at least causes one to question.

BUJUMBURA in a clash just two days after both sides declared an end to fighting, the military said.
Fighting between the Forces for National Liberation (FNL) and government troops had killed nearly 100 people in recent weeks. But they agreed on Monday to halt hostilities.
Both sides tried to play down Wednesday's incident.

"It will take time for both sides to respect the truce, but I don't think the incident will stop the peace process," said FNL spokesman Pasteur Habimana. "Everyone needs peace now."
The FNL is the last remaining rebel group from more than a decade of civil war that killed some 300,000 people.
"Our troops told a group of FNL fighters who were coming towards their position to stop, but they refused," said army spokesman Colonel Adolphe Manirakiza.
"So they considered this a provocation and shot at them."
The clash took place in the rebel stronghold of Gihanga, 15 km (9 miles) out of the capital Bujumbura, early on Wednesday.
The return of FNL officials 12 days ago from neighbouring Tanzania has brought hope a delayed peace deal, first signed in September 2006, will finally be implemented.
The FNL conflict is seen as the final hurdle to lasting stability in the coffee-growing nation of 8 million people.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Burundi rebel leader returns from exile


3 days ago

BUJUMBURA (AFP) — The leader of Burundi's last active rebel group Agathon Rwasa returned from exile Friday, four days after his group inked a truce with the government, raising hopes of an end to a 15-year civil war.
The National Liberation Forces (FNL) chief flew into Bujumbura on a plane that also carried South African Security Minister Charles Nqakula, the chief mediator in recent efforts to bring peace to Burundi.
"Today, the time has come

for us to look ahead and build peace and stability for the sons and daughters of our country," Rwasa said at a press conference after arriving.
Rwasa, who was also accompanied by top two lieutenants, was welcomed at the airport by several senior government officials while large crowds lined the main road between the airport and the city centre to greet him.
A spokesman for President Pierre Nkurunziza welcomed Rwasa's return, calling it "a very important date" in the peace process.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon described it as a "significant development" and urged the two sides in a statement "to seize this opportunity to finally end the long-standing conflict in Burundi".
His return from Tanzania marks a new step in moves to definitively end the civil war that has plagued the impoverished central African nation since 1993, leaving at least 300,000 people dead.
"This is a very important chapter in Burundi's history," Nqakula told reporters.

On May 26, the FNL and the government signed an unconditional and immediate ceasefire, bringing to an end the latest spate of deadly fighting between the two sides.
FNL fighters had launched a major attack in and around the capital Bujumbura on April 17, sparking a fierce retaliation by the army.
The clashes were the most serious in years and left more than 100 people dead and thousands displaced, raising fears that the country could plunge back into chaos.
A cessation of hostilities had already been agreed upon in 2006, but the implementation of the deal never got off the ground, prompting peace talks to break down.
The fresh violence accelerated efforts to rekindle a peace process and a group of FNL negotiators who had quit talks last year returned to Burundi earlier this month.
Rwasa was born in 1964 and joined the FNL -- the country's first Hutu rebel group -- 20 years ago before eventually taking over its leadership in 2000.
He has shuttled between Burundi and Tanzania since 2005 and is not believed to have returned to Bujumbura since 1988.
When the ceasefire was signed earlier this week, both sides pledged the war was finally over but diplomats warned a lot of ground had yet to be covered.
The government has asked the FNL to disarm and its fighters to regroup in designated areas.
"We are in favour of this idea," Rwasa said. "We want the Palipehutu-FNL to be recognised as a political partner," he added, in reference to the name of the rebel group's political branch.
New York-based Human Rights Watch on Friday released a statement calling on the police and judicial officials to release what the watchdog said were scores of people detained on suspicion of links to the FNL.
"Some people have been in detention for weeks, even though Burundian law clearly prohibits holding anyone without charge for more than seven days," said Alison Des Forges, senior adviser to HRW's Africa division.