Couple of things. I’m making spaghetti while listening to BBC world. The headline is “d day” it’s January 5th, and I wondered what it was about. The news reporter went on how it is divorce day, the most popular day of the year for divorce. Reason being, the stress of the Christmas holiday! They had a divorce lawyer from Manchester on the phone for an interview. The lawyer talked about the long line outside his office of people wanting divorces, and how busy this time of year is for him. They estimated that 1.3 million people will get divorced in the U.K. alone. I was fascinated, and I stopped my food preparations and zeroed in on the radio. Over and over, they said the stress of the holiday, they even said the global financial crisis will instigate far more divorces than the past years, and that this will be a record year for divorce and break ups. I wish they opened up the news story for callers to weigh in with thoughts, but they never did. I was wondering what you all thought about “d day” and if you were aware of the phenomenon. Now, I’ve always been a bit blown away by the material nature of the Christmas season, and now hearing that the stress of this holiday results in mass divorce… dumbfounded. A penny for your thoughts?
Second thing, Obama is a phenomenon in East Africa if not all of Africa. I see his image everywhere I go. He is all over African clothes, cars, buildings, houses, streets, signs, merchant stands, everything. Tanzanians love him, Burundians love him, Nigerians love him, Rwandans love him, Kenyans… forget about it. Today I noticed a sound bite of Obama come on the radio whilst I was walking in Buj, and Burundians flock to the closest radio to listen to what he says even though they don’t really understand English. They flag me down to explain to them what Obama said. I take a few minutes to explain to them what the Obama sound bite was about as it was sort of obscure for Burundians to understand as it had to do with the 109 year old African American woman who voted and how she was alive a generation after slavery, and they explode into animated discussion, and pepper me with all sorts of questions about American history, and Obama, and money. They were furious when I said there was a time in the States when Africans couldn’t vote. Most of you are aware that the day Obama was elected has become a national holiday in Kenya. I was talking with some friends about this, and they told me that when parliament convened to make it a national holiday, there was a brief moment when they wondered why they should make it a holiday. Nobody put forth a very compelling reason but one member of parliament piped up: “Nigeria made it a two day national holiday” shortly after that comment, Kenya made it official. A few friends of mine in Kenya attending school laughed as they remembered getting out of school because Obama was elected. The whole nation, I’m talking Kenya, not America, went absolutely nuts. Kenyas’ son is Americas’ president.
Meanwhile in Burundi the small American community is torn. Some people think it’s America’s demise, others think Obama is America’s salvation. This seems to be normal behavior amongst Americans during any election. One thing is for sure: America is loved abroad again. Not in Palistine, and some middle eastern nations, but in Europe, in Africa, where Bush and America were once bad words never to be uttered (Bush still seems to be a bad word never to be uttered), now it’s all about the hope of America, it’s all changed simply because Obama is president. Every one of my European friends love Obama. In my life so far, I’ve never experienced this degree of positive American sentiment from the rest of the world. It always catches me off guard. I would never want to be Obama just for that reason. The global expectations on that guy, are unfair, and just plain not reasonable. Still, it’s far better to be loved than hated, obviously, but Obama is just a man, and to put so much faith in man, is always foolhearty. The good news though is when you follow a guy that unanimously, I think there is a lot of grace for when things don’t happen as intended. The world of Africa and Europe, seem unshakably hopeful. America and Canada as well, and I would imagine South America, and Mexico, though that’s just a guess. So buy your plane tickets fellow Americans, now is the time to travel abroad... except for the global econocmic crisis.
Monday, January 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Very refreshing to get the news from a different perspective. Thanks for being there. I am your brother in Jesus Christ.
Darell
Way to keep up with your New Year's resolution, Seth. And by the way, you make great spaghetti. Don't get too distracted.
seth where are you? this is your old chemical additive buddy mike lumsden!email me Lumsden3.1@juno.com
Post a Comment