What shall we say, then? Is "web surfing" sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have wasted so much time on the internet except for email. For I would not have known what time wasting really was if not for blogger. For I would not know what "surfing the web" really was if internet marketers had not said: "This is the internet, spend countless hours here!" But email, seizing the opportunity afforded by the internet, produced in me every kind of desire for aimless reading and internet communication. For apart from the internet, email is dead. Once I was alive apart from the internet, but when the internet came, wasting time sprang to life, and I died. I found that the very websites that were intended to bring knowledge actually inspired an endless trail of too much information and mindless entertainment. For blogging, seizing the opportunity afforded by the "listings of friends blogs," deceived me, and allowed me too much temptation to read an endless slew of friends blogs. So then, the internet is convenient, and internet communications are practical, effortless and good.
Did that which is good, then, become death to me? Unfortunately it did! But in order that internet might be recognized as simply too much of a good thing, it produced death in me through what is good, so that through cyber space, time might become utterly wasteful.
We know that the internet is useful; but I am addicted, sold as a slave to web browsing. I do not understand what I do. For when I mean to return emails, I do not return emails, but simply read various news and movie sites. And I do whatever is the most inefficient activity on the most efficient communication tool of our time. I agree that the internet is effective. As it is, it is no longer I myself who am effective, but rather the internet living in my computer. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my desires to waste countless hours on the web. For I have the desire to return emails and blog effectively, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is read about why garlic is the worlds healthiest food, or why Venezuela strengthens ties with Iran, or downloading songs and media, or on-line shopping! For what I spend time doing is not what is the efficient thing to do, no the wasteful pointless reading and purchasing of random things, this I keep doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but cookies living in my web browser facilitating the return to time wasting websites that I am slave to.
So I find this law at work: When I want to return an email or blog, conveniently cool entertaining websites are right there just a click away. For in my inner being I delight in high speed internet; but I see another law at work in the members of my cyber space habits, waging war against the law of efficiency and effective use of time and money, making me a prisoner of the law of aimless perpetual web browsing, blog reading, and internet purchases. What a wretched man am I! Who will rescue me from this age of information and consumerism? Thanks be to Africa -through complete lack of good internet connectivity!
Monday, July 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Amazing! You are not along in your struggles, brother. At least you have Africa's lack of good connectivity to aid you in the struggle... I only have fear of punishment as a motivator.
Peace to you!
Well expressed dear friend.....this is a struggle we all have....information, information overloading our souls, never giving them a quiet moment to reflect, meditate and ponder.
Post a Comment